Meet your CEO selfJoin the trend of Australian women starting their businesses.

Women have been cautioned against making bold choices and pushing the boundaries for too long, but times are changing.

I’m the type who believes that if things are too easy, they’re probably not worth doing. I like a challenge, an adventure – something that puts me outside of my comfort zone and dares me to bring out the best in myself.

So perhaps it was no surprise that, at age 22, I chose to leave the safety and stability of full-time employment, a regular paycheck and paid sick leave to start my own company.

People told me I couldn’t do it and that I shouldn’t do it. That I was too young. That there was too much risk involved.

But I think living a life that doesn’t excite you and regretting it at the end – that’s a much more significant risk.

Last week, I was shocked to recognise just how precious life is. In a tragic set of “wrong place, wrong time” circumstances, one of my good friends was fatally stabbed while waiting for a bus. He was only 22. He was one of the sweetest, kindest and most genuine people I’ve ever been lucky enough to meet. And he lived life to the fullest.

His passing made me realize that we should treasure every moment and live every day like it’s our last.

We should make the most out of life and never say “no” to an opportunity. But most importantly, we should always chase our dreams – no matter how daring.

For too long, we as women have been cautioned against making bold choices for pushing the boundary. Our traditional role as the “home-maker” (oh, how I despise that term!) means we are often still expected to be safe, loyal, nurturing, reliable and cautious.

Luckily, things are slowly starting to change. Research shows that Australian women start small businesses at twice the rate of men, although men still outweigh women as small business owners by about two to one.

Starting my own business was the best decision I’ve ever made. Sure, it’s scary. And it’s often tricky. But life would be so dull if we never took the road less travelled.

How about you: have you started your own business? I’d love to hear from you! In my next blog post, I’ll feature stories from lesbian entrepreneurs. If you’re living your passion, leave a comment and tell me how I can get in touch with you.